Stephen A. Chagares, MD, FACS, is a board certified general, laparoscopic, robotic and breast surgeon. He graduated from Georgetown University with a Bachelor of Science in chemistry in 1986 and obtained his medical doctor degree in 1990 from Rutgers Medical School. Upon graduation, Dr. Chagares completed his residency in general surgery at Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch, NJ.
He obtained specialty training in breast surgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City and is a board certified breast surgeon. Dr. Chagares is affiliated with The Jacqueline M. Wilentz Comprehensive Breast Center.
In addition to breast surgery, Dr. Chagares regularly performs hernia repairs of all types, including open, laparoscopic and robotic repairs. Dr. Chagares was the first surgeon in the region to perform a robotic hernia repair and remains on the cutting edge of all advanced surgical techniques.
He routinely performs multiple other abdominal procedures, including laparoscopic gallbladder removal. Dr. Chagares is also a specialist in surgical resection of skin and soft tissue cancers.
In the spirit of compassion, Dr. Chagares is proud to offer free radiation tattoo removal for cancer survivors.
Dr. Chagares’ Shrewsbury-based private practice has been open over 20 years and is affiliated with Monmouth Medical Center, Riverview Medical Center, Jersey Shore University Medical Center and Bayshore Community Hospital. Additionally, he is affiliated with several outpatient surgical facilities and nursing homes.
Dr. Chagares has received numerous awards for excellence and academic teaching, Top Doctors Awards and Patients’ Choice Awards.
Dr. Chagares’ philosophy is to provide quality care with a personal touch. He respects the art of surgery and feels honored to treat patients every day.
- 5/2008 – Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery, Department of Surgery, Drexel University College of Medicine
Honors and Awards:
- Golden Apple Award- Given by the surgical residents for excellence in academic teaching at Monmouth Medical Center x4 2003, 2007, 2009, 2011
- New Jersey Monthly magazine Top Doctor, eight years in a row, 2011-2018
Memberships and offices in Professional Societies:
- The Society of Surgeons of New Jersey, 2007 – present
- Fellow American College of Surgeons, 2001 – present
- The Jacqueline M. Wilentz Comprehensive Breast Center, 2000 – present
- Assistant Program Director, General Surgery Residency, Monmouth Medical Center, 2000 – 2011
- Monmouth County Medical Society- Executive Committee Member, 1996 – 2007
- Monmouth Surgical Society, 1996 – present
- American Medical Association, 1987 – present
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, 1987 – present
- Teacher and Mentor of surgical residents and medical students, 1996-present