About Stephen A. Chagares, MD, FACS, Physician
Stephen A. Chagares, MD, FACS, is board certified in general surgery by The American Board of Surgery. He is highly trained in laparoscopic, robotic and breast surgery. He graduated from Georgetown University with a Bachelor of Science in chemistry in 1986 and obtained his medical degree from Rutgers Medical School in 1990. Upon graduation, Dr. Chagares completed his residency in general surgery at Monmouth Medical Center. During his residency, Dr. Chagares elected the breast surgery rotation and obtained specialty training at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
Dr. Chagares performs a variety of breast procedures, including lumpectomy and mastectomy.
In addition to breast surgery, Dr. Chagares regularly performs hernia repairs of all types, including open, laparoscopic, and robotic repairs. He was the first surgeon in the region to perform a robotic hernia repair, remaining on the cutting edge of all advanced surgical techniques.
Dr. Chagares is also well versed in treating gastrointestinal issues, including cholecystectomy and laparotomy.
Dr. Chagares also has experience operating on all types of skin and soft tissue disorders, from cysts to malignant melanoma.
Dr. Chagares has been in private practice for over 25 years and is affiliated with Robert Wood Johnson Barnabas Health Monmouth Medical Center, Hackensack Meridian Health Riverview Medical Center, Hackensack Meridian Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Hackensack Meridian Health Bayshore Medical Center, and The Jacqueline M. Wilentz Comprehensive Breast Center. Additionally, he is affiliated with several outpatient surgical facilities, including the Shrewsbury Surgery Center.
Dr. Chagares has received numerous awards for excellence and academic teaching, Patients’ Choice Awards, and Top Doctors’ Awards. He enjoys teaching the surgical residents and medical students as well as being an active member of The Breast Leadership Committee and The Robotic Surgery Leadership Committee at Monmouth Medical Center.
Dr. Chagares’ philosophy is to provide quality care with a personal touch. He respects the art of surgery and feels honored to treat patients every day.
- 2019 Monmouth Medical Center Robotic Steering Committee
- 2017 Monmouth Medical Center Breast Leadership Committee
- 2017 Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Clinical Assistant Professor
- 2008 Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery, in the Department of Surgery, Drexel University College of Medicine
Honors and Awards:
- 2003, 2007, 2009, 2011 “Golden Apple Award”: Given by the Surgical Residents for excellence in academic teaching at Monmouth Medical Center
- 2011 -2022 New Jersey Monthly Magazine Top Doctors
Memberships and offices in Professional Societies:
- The Society of Surgeons of New Jersey
- Fellow American College of Surgeons
- Monmouth County Medical Society
- Monmouth Surgical Society
- American Medical Association
- American Society of Breast Surgeons
- Susan G. Komen Leadership Council
- Male Breast Cancer Coalition
Memberships and Professional Societies:
- Fellow American College of Surgeons, 1999 – present
- American Society of Breast Surgeons, 2019
- Male Breast Cancer Coalition Advisory Board Member, 2018- present
- The Jacqueline M. Wilentz Comprehensive Breast Center, 2000 – present
- Assistant Program Director, General Surgery Residency, Monmouth Medical Center, 2000 – 2011
- The Society of Surgeons of New Jersey, 2007 – present
- Monmouth County Medical Society- Executive Committee Member, 1996 – 2007
- Monmouth Surgical Society, 1996 – present
- American Medical Association, 1987 – present
- 2002 – 2012 Assistant Program Director, General Surgery Residency at Monmouth Medical Center
- 1996 -PRESENT Mentor of Residents and Students
- Kozusko, M.D.; Elkwood, L; Gaynor,R.N.;Chagares, M.D.,F.A.C.S.; “An Innovative Approach to the Surgical Time Out: A Patient-Focused Model” AORN Journal, June 2016, Vol. 103, No. 6, p. 617.
- Chagares, SA; Patel, T; Fotopoulos, N; Case Study: “Diagnosis and Operative Management of de Garengeot Hernia without Appendectomy During the COVID-19 Pandemic” Journal of Surgical Case Reports, November 202, Vol. 2020, No. 11, p. p. rjaa464.
- Robert Wood Johnson Barnabas Health Monmouth Medical Center
- Hackensack Meridian Health Riverview Medical Center
- Hackensack Meridian Health Bayshore Medical Center
- Hackensack Meridian Jersey Shore University Medical Center
- The Jacqueline M. Wilentz Comprehensive Breast Center
- August 1982-June 1986 Georgetown University Washington, D.C.
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
- August 1986-June 1990 Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (Currently Rutgers Medical School)
- Doctor of Medicine
- July 1990 -June 1995 Resident, General Surgery
Monmouth Medical Center
Long Branch, New Jersey 07740
- July 1995 -June 1996 Chief Resident, General Surgery
Monmouth Medical Center
Long Branch, New Jersey 07740
- July 1996 -June 1998 Wellington Medical Group
- July 1998-June 2012 Stephen A. Chagares, M.D. (Private Practice)
180 Avenue At The Commons
Shrewsbury, New Jersey 07702
- June 2012 – Present Stephen A. Chagares, M.D. (Private Practice)
1 Executive Drive, Suite 4
Tinton Falls, New Jersey 07701
- Intuitive Surgical Multi-Port
- Intuitive Surgical Single Site
- da Vinci Si
- da Vinci Xi
Certification and Licensure:
- PART I, NATIONAL MEDICAL BOARD
- PART II, NATIONAL MEDICAL BOARD
- PART III, NATIONAL MEDICAL BOARD
- BOARD CERTIFICATION GENERAL SURGERY -OCTOBER 2000
- BOARD RE-CERTIFICATION GENERAL SURGERY -DECEMBER 2009
- BOARD RE-CERTIFICATION GENERAL SURGERY -DECEMBER 2021
- MEDICAL LICENSURE: NEW JERSEY #63076
- DRUG LICENSURE: NEW JERSEY #BC 4823779
- NEW JERSEY CDS #DO 69504
- MEDICAL LICENSURE: NEW YORK #307176-01