About Stephen A. Chagares, MD, FACS
Stephen A. Chagares, MD, FACS, is a board certified general, laparoscopic, robotic and breast surgeon. He graduated from Georgetown University with a Bachelor of Science in chemistry in 1986 and obtained his medical doctor degree in 1990 from Rutgers Medical School. Upon graduation, Dr. Chagares completed his residency in general surgery at Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch, NJ.
Dr. Chagares obtained specialty training in breast surgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City when he elected this rotation during his surgical residency.
In addition to breast surgery, Dr. Chagares regularly performs hernia repairs of all types, including open, laparoscopic and robotic repairs. Dr. Chagares was the first surgeon in the region to perform a robotic hernia repair and remains on the cutting edge of all advanced surgical techniques.
He routinely performs multiple other abdominal procedures, including laparoscopic gallbladder removal. Dr. Chagares is also a specialist in surgical resection of skin and soft tissue cancers.
In the spirit of compassion, Dr. Chagares is proud to offer free radiation tattoo removal for cancer survivors.
Dr. Chagares’ Shrewsbury-based private practice has been open for over 20 years and is affiliated with Monmouth Medical Center, Riverview Medical Center, Jersey Shore University Medical Center and Bayshore Community Hospital. Additionally, he is affiliated with several outpatient surgical facilities and nursing homes.
Dr. Chagares has received numerous awards for excellence and academic teaching, Top Doctors Awards and Patients’ Choice Awards.
Dr. Chagares’ philosophy is to provide quality care with a personal touch. He respects the art of surgery and feels honored to treat patients every day.
- 5/2008 – Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery, Department of Surgery, Drexel University College of Medicine
Honors and Awards:
- Golden Apple Award- Given by the surgical residents for excellence in academic teaching at Monmouth Medical Center: 2003, 2007, 2009, 2011
- New Jersey Monthly magazine Top Doctor, nine years in a row, 2011-2019
Memberships and Professional Societies:
- Fellow American College of Surgeons, 1999 – present
- American Society of Breast Surgeons, 2019
- Male Breast Cancer Coalition Advisory Board Member, 2018- present
- The Jacqueline M. Wilentz Comprehensive Breast Center, 2000 – present
- Assistant Program Director, General Surgery Residency, Monmouth Medical Center, 2000 – 2011
- The Society of Surgeons of New Jersey, 2007 – present
- Monmouth County Medical Society- Executive Committee Member, 1996 – 2007
- Monmouth Surgical Society, 1996 – present
- American Medical Association, 1987 – present
- Teacher and Mentor of surgical residents and medical students, 1996-present