Robotic Mastectomy Procedure
Dr. Chagares is not currently offering Robotic Nipple Sparing Mastectomy (RNSM) and any information included on our website about RNSM procedures are for educational purposes only.
The FDA’s safety recommendations for RNSM procedures can be found at: https://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/safety/alertsandnotices/ucm632142.htm
Robotic Surgery Certification:
7/2014 – Intuitive Surgical da Vinci® Surgical System
Single site certified
Robotic Nipple Sparing Mastectomy
A robotic nipple sparing mastectomy (RNSM) is a surgical procedure performed to remove the breast tissue for breast cancer treatment or as a preventative measure for those at risk of developing breast cancer. By performing the same long-held mastectomy procedure with robotic assistance, RNSM is able to provide a significantly smaller hidden incision created on the side of the chest wall (pictured above) compared to the traditional technique.
Following the procedure, patients can choose to undergo immediate breast reconstruction to restore breast shape. Published research on the procedure continues to report high rates of satisfaction and minimal complications for patients. Long term data on oncologic equivalence is currently being monitored and calculated.
Who Can Perform This Procedure?
Surgeons must complete specialized robotic surgical training and complete all regulatory requirements before they are able to utilize this technology on patients. Surgeons who specialize in breast surgery can perform a number of surgical procedures for the treatment or prevention of breast cancer, including a nipple sparing mastectomy.
To stay updated with our progress, follow us on Instagram: @roboticmastectomy
Robotic Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy, Publications
- Robotic Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy and Immediate Breast Reconstruction with Implant: First Report of Surgical Technique
- 1931 Preliminary report of robotic nipple-sparing mastectomy and immediate breast reconstruction with implant
- Robotic nipple-sparing mastectomy for the treatment of breast cancer: Feasibility and safety study
- Robotic Nipple-sparing Mastectomy and Immediate Breast Reconstruction with Gel Implant
- Gasless Robot-Assisted Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy: A Case Report
- Robotic nipple-sparing mastectomy: The first experience from Indian subcontinent
- Robotic Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy and Immediate Breast Reconstruction with Gel Implant
- Robotic nipple sparing mastectomy and immediate breast reconstruction with robotic latissimus dorsi flap harvest – Technique and preliminary results
- Robotic Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy and Immediate Breast Reconstruction with Gel Implant: Technique, Preliminary Results and Patient-Reported Cosmetic Outcome
- Technique for single axillary incision robotic assisted quadrantectomy and immediate partial breast reconstruction with robotic latissimus dorsi flap harvest for breast cancer: A case report
- Robotic Prophylactic Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy with Immediate Prosthetic Breast Reconstruction: A Prospective Study
- Robotic Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy with Immediate Prosthetic Breast Reconstruction: Surgical Technique
- Breast cancer robotic nipple sparing mastectomy: evaluation of several surgical procedures and learning curve
- Robotic Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy: The Next Step in the Evolution of Minimally Invasive Breast Surgery